Friday, November 26, 2010

TextGen v0.2 released: COM interop

Recently I released TextGen v0.2 on CodePlex.

There are two major things added to this version:

Interface for COM Clients

TextGen now provides an interface for the usage by COM clients.

Since the original public API is partially based on generics, the API exposed to COM had to provide different methods for those parts.

To get started with the API visible to COM, please refer to the Access demo file that is included in the package. Shell scripts to create and register/unregister the TypeLib are included.

Download Package

With v0.2 a zip-file with all necessary files is available. So there’s no need to compile yourself. Just use TextGen from your application.

Have fun and provide feedback!

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Podcast “Anwendungsentwicklung mit WPF” veröffentlicht

(This is a German post since it is about a podcast in German language.)

Mein Arbeitgeber TechTalk bietet unter dem Titel “On TechTalk’s Mind” eine Serie von Podcasts an.

Es freut mich, dass ich den dritten in dieser Serie veröffentlichten Podcast zum Thema “Anwendungsentwicklung mit der Windows Presentation Foundation” ankündigen darf.

In dieser Folge spreche ich mit meiner Kollegin Claudia Oster, Usability-Expertin bei TechTalk und mit meinem Kollegen Stephan Zehetner über die Auswirkungen des Einsatzes von WPF auf das Zusammenspiel zwischen Usability-Experten, Designern und Entwicklern in einem großen Softwareentwicklungs-Projekt. Wir sprechen darüber ob die mit WPF wieder einmal versprochene Trennung dieser Aspekte der Anwendungsentwicklung nun tatsächlich funktioniert.

Die Vorbereitung, Durchführung und Nachbearbeitung dieses Podcasts waren sehr spannend und haben großen Spaß gemacht. Ich habe viel Zeit und Energie hineingesteckt, aber auch sehr viel gelernt.

Die nächste Folge ist in Vorbereitung!

Workshop “Testen in Access”

(This post is in German since it is about a workshop held in German)

Nach meinen Vorträgen zum Thema “Pragmatisches Testen in Access” auf der diesjährigen AEK freut es mich auch einen Workshop zum Thema “Testen in Access” anbieten zu können.

Dieser Workshop findet am 26./27. Jänner 2011 in Hannover statt.

Themen:

  • Grobüberblick UnitTesting/TDD
  • Anwendung testbar machen
  • Was konkret testen?
  • Wie testen?
  • Wie Änderungen implementieren?
  • Features von AccUnit
  • Details und Anmeldung sind hier möglich: http://www.techtalk.at/About-us/News/Events/Workshop--Testen-in-Access.aspx

    Message from MSTest: No tests were run because no tests are loaded or the selected tests are disabled.

    Today, MSTest annoyed me again, as it did once before (see the post Message in Visual Studio 2010: Changes to your tests are no longer automatically displayed).

    When running the test-suite of TextGen, I discovered, that one test was not run at all.

    The test seemed to be ok. Neither the test class nor the test method were ignored:

    TestClass with TestMethod, both not ignored

    But when I tried to execute the test, Visual Studio issued the following message, and the test was not run:

    Message "No tests were run because no tests are loaded or the selected tests are disabled."

    Message from MSTest: “No tests were run because no tests are loaded or the selected tests are disabled.”

    I did not understand that and Google did not provide any satisfactory answers, just some conjectures.

    So I played around a bit: If I changed just a single character of the method’s name, MSTest executed the test again. If I renamed that test, but added a new test method with the name in question, it resulted in the same message.

    Thus, it’s all about the test method’s name!

    Somewhere it must be stored that a test method with that name shall be treated as disabled. Smells like test run configuration, which sounds like the vsmdi-file in the context of MSTest. Doubleclicking my vsmdi-file showed me a list of all my tests (“test list”) – and my test was shown in gray:

    Test shown in gray in MSTest's test list

    But why that?

    Now the path left to go was not all too long: Inspecting the properties of the test revealed the guilty, the test was disabled:

    Property TestEnabled set to false

    I’ve had no idea why this property was set to false, since I was not aware of it’s very existence, but that was the reason.

    Again – easy if you know. But one can fall into despair, when you just want to run your neat little test but you can’t.

    BTW, ReSharper-test runner for MSTest ran the test nevertheless. But – test first is much faster with the native MSTest test runner.

    Tuesday, November 16, 2010

    TextGen 0.1 released

    It is a pleasure to announce that recently I released version 0.1 of TextGen – Another Template Based Text Generator on CodePlex (textgen.codeplex.com).

    The main impetus for TextGen was the need to have a library for doing code generation as simple as possible. Since I didn’t like very much what I saw with things like T4, I decided to write my own library.

    For the moment it is feature rich enough to provide template based generation of simple classes (a UnitTest for a VB6 class module is included in the sources).

    Apropos UnitTests: I did the project almost strictly test-first. “Almost” because there are for example getters in Exception-classes that I wrote (or better: let ReSharper generate for me) because I wanted to have them and that are so trivial to be almost tested by inspection (just kidding).

    I will provide additional information in the future. But for now, that’s it for the very first announcement.

    Have fun (and give feedback)!